I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read my full disclosure policy here.
I had an opportunity to take a meal to someone in our church this week whose husband is in the hospital. I wanted to take them something that was easy to fix, comforting, and yummy. This Chicken Divan is my husband’s FAVORITE meal and it is all of the above!
Don’t worry – I followed THESE tips for taking someone a meal during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Some tips if you are taking a meal to someone…
- Use dishes that the recipient won’t have to return. I love using THESE toss away pans that come with lids when I am taking a casserole like Chicken Divan.
- Include easy sides. For this meal, I included a bag of organic brown microwaveable rice and a package of rolls from the bakery.
- Don’t forget a sweet treat! When people are going through hard times, food can be a very important tool of comfort. I love baking homemade brownies and including them in my meal. THIS is my favorite brownie recipe that I got from my precious Aunt Greta.
- I like to add Bible verses to each food item that I am delivering! It makes the whole meal meaningful and hopefully blesses their hearts in addition to their tummies. If the recipients are facing a crisis, I like to use Bible verses from my Crisis Scripture Folder Printable. Just write the verses on Post-Its or small index cards and tape to the front of every food item. Here is my favorite verse to include – “He satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul He fills with good things.” Psalm 107:9
- Check out Take Them a Meal for more ideas on how to care well for others by meal giving. I absolutely love this site and their mission.
And now for the Chicken Divan recipe!
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 12-oz pkg broccoli florets, chopped
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 8-oz pkg shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, blend together soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry.
- Arrange chicken and broccoli in a greased 9″x13″ baking pan.
- Cover with soup mixture.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter and spoon over top of casserole.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
I hope you enjoy making this meal and taking it to someone. Our world needs acts of kindness right now more than ever. Let’s take care of one another, shall we?