We are gearing up for back to school and we all know what that means – the obliteration of having time to make dinner!
Simple and quick meals are my saving grace during the school week.
Sloppy Joes are always easy to make and they are always a hit.
This recipe takes Sloppy Joes to the next level with a perfectly golden cornbread crust.
Everyone will be helping themselves to seconds!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 T light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef, onion, and pepper. Drain the fat.
- Add the garlic powder, mustard, brown sugar, water, and salt and pepper.
- Let everything come to a boil. Cover and heat on low for 10-12 minutes.
- Mix cornbread mix, egg, and milk together.
- Pour ground beef mixture into the baking dish.
- Carefully spread the cornbread batter on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
Let me know what you think!
Are you heading back to school soon?