Well, Mommies, the Happy Home Fairy is here to help!
Stop by my blog every day this week to find posts about various ways to make your child’s lunchbox a treasure trove of irresistible deliciousness! From menu plans to magical touches, the Happy Home Fairy will give you the tips you need for lunchbox success!
Lunch Prep 101 – Create a balanced meal by including the following components…
- Grains – the majority of the lunch should be whole grain
- Vegetables and Fruit – load ’em up!!!
- Some good quality Protein – lean meats, eggs, natural nut butters, beans, etc.
- A little Fat – lowfat mayo, olive oil, or light cream cheese
- A Beverage – low in sugar and without artificial ingredients
Print out this post and hang it on your fridge for INSTANT ideas!
- Whole Grain Sandwich Bread
- English Muffins
- Mini Bagels (PB&J on a mini bagel has never been more fun!)
- Mini muffins
- Rice Cakes
- Bread sticks
- Whole Wheat Pasta
- Natural Granola – Bear Naked Granola is AMAZING
- Macaroni and Cheese – try Annie’s brand
Fabulous Fillings –
- Peanut Butter – ingredients should simply be peanuts (If your child is not used to natural peanut butter, mix their normal sweetened peanut butter with the unsweetened peanut butter until you can change to all unsweetened. Use bananas, raisins, or fruit spread to help with the sweetness.)
- Almond Butter
- Deli meat – one of the best deli meats out there (least amount of preservatives) is Boar’s Head Golden Classic Chicken Breast or go for any meat by Applegate Farms
- Tuna Salad
- Chicken Salad
- Salmon Salad (mix this with tuna at first to help your children adjust to taste! It’s really not that different!)
- Egg Salad or Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Grilled Chicken
- Hamburger made with Ground Turkey
Fun Fruits –
- Sliced apples (keep a small spray bottle filled with a mixture of lemon juice and water in the fridge. Spray the cut apples before packing – this trick keeps them from browning and little children recipients from frowning! :-))
- Raisins – Newman’s Own Organic Raisins are DELISH
- Blueberries (stick ten blueberries on a small stick – makes it more fun to eat a Blueberry Kabob!)
- Melon chunks
- Mandarin Oranges
- Watermelon chunks
- Dried fruit – apricots (look for Sulfite Free)
Veggies of Wonder –
- Sliced Cucumbers
- Bell Pepper slices – pack with Hummus for dipping!
- Broccoli – pack with a yummy dip like Ranch Dressing or Raspberry Dressing
- Carrots – you can even slip some grated carrots into their sandwich or wrap!
- Green salad made with Spinach (pump some iron!)
- Baked Sweet Potato – cubed or cut into strips as fries
- Celery – scrumptious with peanut butter and raisins (everyone loves ants on a log!)
- Green beans
- Sugar Snap Peas
- 3-Bean Salad
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cherry Tomatoes – include a smidge of Honey Mustard, Ranch or Caesar Dressing
Delicious Dairy –
- Cheese sticks
- Drinkable Yogurt
- Single-serve Reduced Fat/Lowfat Milk or Chocolate Milk
Scrumptious Snacks –
- Graham Crackers – try Back to Nature brand
- Granola Bar
- Snack Bar – try Clif ZBar
- Whole Grain Crackers – try Annie’s brand (Cheddar Bunnies or Honey Graham Bunnies)
- Baked chips with salsa
- Honey Wheat pretzels with Honey Mustard Dip
- Organic or Natural Cookies
- Dry Cereal
- Organic Fruit Leather – Whole Foods has really yummy ones!
- Whole Wheat Fig Cookies – try Newman’s Own
- Nuts (almonds or cashews)
- Popcorn – try Pirate’s Booty
- Trail Mix
- Homemade Cookies 🙂
Best Beverages –
- Bottled Water – the BEST option!
- 100% Juice, boxed – try Apple & Eve Organic Juices
- Izze Sparkling Juice
- Vegetable Juice