My girl, Sarah, is our guest poster today! This gal is so funny and inspiring. She has an amazing heart for Jesus, a rock solid marriage, and 4 hilarious kids. You will LOVE following her witty updates on Twitter as well as her blog, Six Williams, where she shares the real truth about motherhood (like THIS incredible super viral post). I know you will love her light-hearted encouragement today to love our husbands well and spice things up in our marriages!
Marriage can be the greatest, most fun relationship, but it is a subject people are often shy to talk about. Especially regarding intimacy.
It’s not my intention to become some sort of blogger focusing on marital intimacy. I still have to face my dad at Thanksgiving. And neither of us wants him to know my spicy secrets. But being intimate is super important. Mostly because our husbands think about it approximately every nine seconds.
Please don’t roll your eyes. I know what it’s like to be so over-touched during the day by little kids that the last thing you want to do is be touched some more. The regularity with which you consummate your marriage is up to you and inevitably varies in different seasons of life.
The actual act of being intimate is an important and necessary part of a thriving marriage.
However, I have four children under ten. I am realistic about how that translates into real life.
The good news is that there are ways to still keep the spark alive in your marriage…with far less effort. (Can I get an amen?)
As a person who does not enjoy talking on the phone, I would consider texting the greatest invention of modern communication. Texting is an awesome opportunity to show your husband affection, especially during the day while he’s at work.
Texting, “I can’t stop thinking about how hot/handsome you are” is much more appealing when he can’t see your yoga pants and greasy hair. Not that I know anything about that.
I thought most wives already sent steamy texts to their husbands throughout the day, but in a recent, informal poll of my friends, it turns out that many of my friends keep their texts clean and business-like.
Ladies, you are missing out on an easy way to connect with your husband.
I am here to tell you that sending spicy texts is for everyone. At the risk of avoiding eye contact with my dad for the rest of the year, I will give you ideas for texts you can send RIGHT NOW. And I promise it will make your husband’s day. Many of these ideas are ones I use on the regular, and some of them are from friends who know that making marriage fun is a great way to balance out how hard it can be.
Sending provocative pictures of yourself is one way to really create some sparks. I am all for whatever works for you. However, with the permanence of the Cloud, my children’s accessibility to my phone, and the potential for my husband to be with a client when the text comes through, this is not my preferred method of connection. There are still many ways to communicate with less chance of embarrassment.
- Reference a recent escapade, saying something like, “Wow. You were amazing last night. I can’t wait to do that again.” Or send a picture that references that steamy night in a way only you two understand. Perhaps a cowboy hat was involved; text a picture of just that. He will know exactly what it means without the possibility of your mother-in-law finding it while snooping on your computer. 😉
- My husband and I have an emoji that means “I want some.” It probably goes without saying that I receive this more than I send it, BUT when I do send it, he seems extra helpful after dinner.
- The YouCam makeup app is a hilarious and fun way to send scandalous pictures, even if you haven’t showered in four days. (Disclosure: this app seemed to drain my battery pretty quickly.) I took this picture while making lunch for my kids. The ridiculousness of it covers my greasy hair and no make-up self. Whether the picture is seductive or silly, it is a playful way to say, “I am thinking about you today.”
- A friend of mine will text her husband, “I’m flashing my boobs (.)(.).” And “Don’t you miss my nursing boobs? ( . ) ( . ).” This is amazing. Funny and romantic (to him).
- Turn ordinary texts into something a little more exciting. If he texts, “On my way home,” reply with, “You’re so sexy when you’re on your way home.” Or if he says, “Just got out of meeting,” reply with, “Can’t wait for you to get out of your clothes.”
- I love the Bitmoji app for a million reasons. It communicates feelings in the best way. There are many romantic bitmojis that are sure to make your husband smile.
(Bonus: your bitmoji looks great in a bikini)
My husband and I are not over-the-top romantics by any means, and there are, of course, seasons of life that are too difficult to do anything but survive – but if your marriage seems to be lacking in the spice department, these little acts of thoughtfulness can go a long way.
Texting is easy. It takes less than a minute. Your husband may be having a stressful day at work and knowing that he is wanted by you in the way that is most important to him could very well turn his day around for the better.
Or at least give him the opportunity to finally see what you look like in a pair of cat ears.
– Sarah, Six Williams
*Check out THIS POST for more specific text messages you can send your hubby today!