I have been wanting to do this craft for YEARS but never really figured out exactly how I wanted it to go.
But I wanted to put my own spin on it.
So I did a mash up of the two and I am pretty proud of how it turned out.
SO CUTE, right?!
And pretty simple to make. I am going to break it down for you here in photos so it is super clear.
- Brown Lunch Bag
- Yellow Cardstock put through a paper shredder (or finely cut with scissors)
- White Felt
- Googly Eyes (Self-Adhesive, if not self-adhesive, use Glue Dots to attach)
- Nude Knee High Pantyhose
- Cotton Batting
- Cut the top half of the paper bag off. Discard.
- Very carefully roll the top of the bag down one time.
- Let your child fill the ‘manger’ with ‘hay.’
- Set manger aside.
- Fill one knee high pantyhose with 2 big balls of cotton batting. Shape to form nice (not too lumpy) rounded sections.
- Knot the bottom of the pantyhose where the batting ends. Cut off excess pantyhose.
- Add googly eyes.
- Draw a little mouth (I used a Sharpie marker).
- Cut a rectangle from the white felt.
- Add Velcro pieces to the outside and inside of the felt so that when it is wrapped around the baby the Velcro matches up and it will stay closed.
- Wrap the baby nice and snug.
- Kiss him and lay him in the manger!
My preschoolers absolutely LOVED this little craft!
We all practiced holding and rocking our baby Jesus crafts and singing Away in the Manger.
I hope y’all will make these too! It is such a simple and precious way to get up close and personal with the Savior of the World.
– Julie 🙂
Did you love this?
Check out my other Baby Jesus Crafts!