I grew up in New Jersey.
Snow was a regular part of my little girl life!
We used to have a trampoline in our backyard and when it snowed, we would jump off the trampoline into the snow.
What a thrill!
We also had this sled that did not have the steel runners (it was basically just a flat board of wood with a rope to hold on to). When it would snow we would carry the sled to the top of our backyard slide, hop on the sled and race it down the slide.
Some of the best memories I have were whizzing across the snowy lawn on that sled!
And then, of course, there was that unbelievable anticipation for a Snow Day – no school. 🙂
When my family moved to South Florida in 1997 and it was 85 degrees in January, we had to get creative about how to preserve all that Winter Fun.
Here’s what we came up with…
1. Turn your air conditioning down to 65 degrees or lower and wear hats, mittens, and scarves around the house.
2. Have an indoor snowball fight with sock balls or cotton balls.
3. Drink hot chocolate as often as possible.
4. Go the beach and build a snowman out of sand.
5. Decorate your house with lots of paper snowflakes.
6. Plan a visit to an indoor ice skating rink.
7. Check out books at the library that have Winter themes.
8. Have friends over for a soup and cornbread party.
9. Drape a white sheet over a folding table to make an igloo, or build an igloo out of sugar cubes (go HERE for directions).
10. Lie on the ground and make pretend indoor snow angels, or make them out of cotton balls.
11. Make a snowman craft.
12. Build an indoor campfire to warm you up (go HERE for directions). Don’t forget to roast some marshmallows!
13. Whip up a batch of Snow Playdough.
14. Squirt shaving cream on the table and play in it. It’s ‘snow.’
15. Play Hot Potato with an ice cube.
What do you think?!
That’s enough Winter Fun to make even the hottest day cool.
Happy Celebrate Winter in Florida-ing! 🙂
I saw on TV last night an interesting fact that in 1977 there was snow sighted in Miami (the one and only time!). I love this post! I found you on Tip Junkie! I would like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html