Food was so scarce that most days the Pilgrims only had a daily ration of 5 kernels of corn apiece.
How did they survive this hardship?
By giving in to bitterness and despair?
The Pilgrims chose to trust in the Lord – regardless of their circumstances.
They chose to thank Him for provision, no matter the size.
Those 5 kernels of corn were a blessing.
This Thanksgiving with your Happy Home, consider placing 5 kernels of corn (corn, popcorn seeds, candy corn, etc.) at each guest’s place setting.
Spend a few minutes before the meal going around the table and having everyone share 5 things that they are thankful for – a reminder of those 5 kernels of corn.
Or you could present a symbolic meaning of each kernel like this example found at Children’s Ministry…
- The first kernel reminds us that God loves us.
- The second kernel reminds us that God provides for all our needs.
- The third kernel reminds us of the friends God has given us — just as the American Indians were friends to the pilgrims.
- The fourth kernel reminds us of all the people God has given us who love us.
- And the fifth kernel reminds us that God hears our prayers and answers us.
God gets us through the lean times, doesn’t He??
The 5 Kernels of Corn Thanksgiving Tradition is just the thing your Happy Home needs to celebrate the goodness of our great God!
Happy 5 Kernels of Corn-ing!