Zonderkidz SENT ME A COPY TO CHECK OUT AND IS PARTNERING WITH ME FOR today’s post! SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE and thank you for supporting my site!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read my full disclosure policy here.
With Christmas approaching, I am always looking for ways to point my children to Jesus and the Reason for the Season.
If I truly want to capture their hearts and imaginations for Christ in the coming weeks, I have to be intentional and creative. As an educator, I have found that one of the best ways to inspire and teach a child is to start with a story and then give them a connecting experience immediately following the story.
I can’t think of a better story to share this time of year than the Christmas story itself from God’s Word.
Today I want to share with you a set of simple discussion questions and activities that go alongside the Christmas stories found in The Beginner’s Bible – one of our family’s favorite Bibles for kids!
The best-selling classic Beginner’s Bible is the perfect introduction to God’s Word for little ones. The stories are written in easy to understand text and the illustrations are bright and colorful. The brand has been equipping families with the beloved stories and parables of Scripture for over 30 years.
And just in time for the season, The Beginner’s Bible launched a brand new beautiful Gift Edition with a gleaming red and gold foil cover that will make the perfect Christmas gift for your loved ones!
The Beginner’s Bible has 5 Christmas stories. Read each story with your child, then talk about it using some of the provided prompts, then follow-up with one of the suggested fun activities.
I hope you love these ideas!
The Angel Visits Mary
Read: The Angel Visits Mary (p. 266-270)
- What would it be like if an angel visited you?
- What do you think Mary’s face looked like when she first saw the angel?
- What is one way we can obey God like Mary did?
Activity 1: Make a simple angel craft like THIS ONE.
Activity 2: Play Hide and Seek – Except the person hiding is Mary and the person looking is the angel. When the angel finds Mary, the angel must shout, “With God, all things are possible!”
Baby Jesus is Born
Read: Baby Jesus is Born (p. 271-276)
- Why did Mary and Joseph have to travel to Bethlehem?
- How do you think Mary and Joseph felt when they couldn’t find a place to stay in Bethlehem?
- What would it be like to sleep in the stable with animals?
Activity 1: Play THIS fun What’s Missing from the Nativity? game.
Activity 2: Play “No Room in the Inn” – Get a piece of paper, pen, and one die. Write all players names on the paper. To play, players take turns rolling the die. If any number but 6 is rolled, players must say, “There’s no room in the inn!” and pass the die to the next player. If a player rolls a 6, then the player shouts, “STABLE!” and gets to draw a star under their name. The first player to get 3 stars is the winner.
Activity 3: Have a Christmas Story Nativity Lunch found HERE.
Activity 4: Practice swaddling a baby like Mary did using strips of cloth. Wrap a baby doll with toilet paper.
Read: Shepherds Visit (p. 277-281)
- Act out the shepherd and sheep’s reactions to when the angels appeared in the night sky.
- Who do you think watched the sheep when the shepherds rushed to see baby Jesus?
- The shepherds couldn’t wait to tell others the Good News. Who can you share the Good News with today?
Activity 1: Eat candy canes and discuss the Legend of the Candy Cane found HERE.
Activity 2: Play the Sheep and Shepherds Game. Use painter’s tape to make a box on the floor (the sheep corral). Place white cotton ball “sheep” all over the room. Have the children use candy canes to move the cotton balls into the square. When a cotton ball goes into the corral, the shepherds all shout, “Glory to God in the Highest!”
Activity 3: Try to think of as many Christmas carols as you can that have the word “Angel” in the title. Don’t forget to sing them together!
Simeon and Anna Meet Baby Jesus
Read: Simeon and Anna Meet Baby Jesus (p. 282-285)
- What are the names of the two people that Mary and Joseph met at the temple with baby Jesus?
- How do you think Simeon knew that Jesus was the Savior of all people?
- Anna loved to pray every day. How often do you pray?
Activity 1: Make a simple baby Jesus craft from HERE.
Activity 2: The Bible says that Anna was a praying woman. Use a package of M&Ms to follow THESE Christmas prayer prompts.
The Bright Star and Three Visitors
Read: The Bright Star and Three Visitors (p. 286-290)
- What special way did God announce that Jesus was born?
- If you were a wise man, what gift would you bring to the baby Jesus?
- The wise men traveled very far to worship Jesus because they loved Him. What do you love about Jesus?
Activity 1: Play “Follow That Star” found HERE.
Activity 2: Make popsicle stick star ornaments as seen HERE.
There are so many great ways to help our children understand what God’s Word says about Christmas in The Beginner’s Bible.
Did you know that The Beginner’s Bible has other products available, too? Easy Readers, board books, and even a Christmas Celebration sticker book that would make the cutest stocking stuffer.
Click the links below to purchase The Beginner’s Bible products for your family and loved ones. What a delight for your children to discover one of these products under the tree on Christmas morning. And you will love knowing that your child is getting the powerful exposure of God’s Word instead of another toy!
>>Click HERE for all BEGINNER’S BIBLE PRODUCTS<<
- The Beginner’s Bible
- The Beginner’s Bible Gift Edition
- The Beginner’s Bible My First Book of Prayers
- The Beginner’s Bible First 100 Bible Words
- The Beginner’s Bible: The Very First Christmas
- The Beginner’s Bible A Christmas Celebration Sticker and Activity Book
- The Beginner’s Bible All Aboard with Noah!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
Guess what?! Stay tuned in the next few weeks for a fun giveaway of not just one – but TWO of The Beginner’s Bible Gift Editions. One for you and one for a friend.💕
How will you share Jesus with your kids this Christmas season?
Great ideas. I am now a grandma so I don’t have quite so much time with my grandkids as I did with my kids but I appreciate your ideas and your time to share them!
Thanks so much for sharing these great ideas for sharing the gospel with my littles this Christmas! ❤️
I’m excited that my 3 year old will be really grasping the Christmas story this year, and can’t wait to try some of these ideas! Thanks for helping me point her to Jesus!
Happy Home Fairy
Thank you, Bet! I would love to hear about it!!
I will be using the activities for my Sunday School class❤️
Happy Home Fairy
Yay! Let me know how it goes!