One of my favorite traditions that I have enjoyed since becoming a part of the Happy Hubby’s family is the annual Happy Birthday Jesus Cake.
I actually get to be the one who makes it every year!
You can see our birthday cake from last year and the year before HERE.
But for 2012, I found this fabulous cake that is going to change the face of Happy Birthday Jesus Cakes as we know it.
This cake is not only super yummy, but also it SHARES THE GOSPEL.
Each color of those beautiful layers symbolizes something in the story of our Savior.
The chocolate layer reminds us that we are sinful.
The red layer reminds us that Jesus shed his blood for our sins.
The white frosting reminds us that Jesus has given us a clean heart.
The green layer represents how we should grow to look more like Him!
The yellow star decorations remind us of the star God put in the sky when Jesus was born.
The candles (not shown) remind us that Jesus is the Light of the World.
Happy Buddy couldn’t wait to dig in to his slice.
And while he was chowing I couldn’t help but feel like my little man was filling up on something a little bit more than red dye and high fructose corn syrup. 🙂
In the song she sang in Luke 1, Mary praises God with these words, “He has filled the hungry with good things.”
Yes, that is the Gospel, indeed.
I can’t think of anything more delicious this Christmas!
Want to make your own layered Gospel-presenting Happy Birthday Jesus Cake?
- You will need 1 box of chocolate cake mix and 1 box of white cake mix.
- Prepare and bake the chocolate cake mix as directed in 2 8-inch round pans. Save one pan for this cake and use the other one for another purpose.
- Prepare the white cake mix as directed and split the batter in half. Add red food coloring to one bowl and green food coloring to the other. Pour into 8-inch round pans and bake.
- Let cakes cool. Then layer chocolate on the bottom, then red, then green. Ice with white icing and add yellow star decorations and candles.
- Make it even more meaningful by placing one candle in the center to represent Jesus and then let every person present add a candle to represent how Jesus’ light makes them shine! Light up this world for HIS glory!
Don’t forget to sing to the Birthday Boy!
Merry Happy Birthday Jesus Cake-ing! 🙂