Many of you know that our second born, Happy Baby, had a pretty rough beginning to his life.
We ended up being in the NICU for almost 100 days! It was a roller coaster of a season, to say the least.
Ever since then, my heart has become easily burdened for any other mom I know who has been given a similar path to walk.
A friend of mine from high school, Ally, emailed me several months ago asking for prayer for her unborn baby, Jaxson. Halfway through her pregnancy they discovered that he had Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, which, for him, meant that most of the organs on the left side of his body were formed in his chest cavity. They were told he would face immediate surgeries upon birth, as well as future surgeries, possible breathing issues, and, obviously, a long NICU stay.
Fast forward and Jaxson is here! But there are still so many challenges and they have already been in the NICU for 2 months.
Wanting to help, I instantly thought of the hundreds of people who made an effort to bless our little family during our NICU stay. The cards, calls, texts, goodies, food (you can read all about it HERE) – were all a reminder of God’s love and presence. Every single kind act, word, or prayer was felt and carried us through the most difficult days.
I knew I needed to send something to Ally to lift her up and comfort her with the sweet knowledge that she isn’t alone.
So I headed to Target and put together a small Survival Kit for her to use while we pray them to Jaxson’s homecoming!
1. Lip Gloss – Just because lip gloss is necessary for all women, at any time.
2. Hand Lotion – NICU parents have to ‘scrub in’ every time they step foot in the NICU facility. This requires at least 3 minutes of scrubbing, using an extremely harsh soap and brush. If you visit your baby several times a day, for several months, this equals seriously DRY HANDS.
3. Tissues – For the extra hard days.
4. Hand Sanitizer – Keeping the germs at bay. NO NICU mama can afford to be sick herself and miss out on visits and snuggles with her little buddy.
5. Target Gift Card – Besides Jesus, Target just knows how to feed my soul – lol. Go get your therapy on, Ally – you deserve it!
6-7. Post-Its and Pen – NICU mamas (and all mamas, really) need to stay in God’s Word AT ALL TIMES. There are a lot of voices in the NICU – doctors, nurses, other parents, the enemy – that sometimes, if we’re not careful, we can let those voices drown out the One voice we really need to hear. These Post-Its are for Ally to jot down her favorite Scriptures and post all over Jaxson’s room to cover him and their situation with TRUTH.
8. Essie Nail Polish – Best thing about this nail polish is its name. Are you ready? ETERNAL OPTIMIST. Because this is something all NICU mamas need to be.
9. Healthy Snacks – NICU mamas are exhausted and often their own needs get shoved to the very bottom of the pile. Having something healthy and satisfying on hand will give Ally the energy she needs to keep loving and serving her little man.
Throw everything in a small, travel-ready bag, and NICU mamas have everything they need to tackle another day of fighting for LIFE.
I can’t think of a greater mission, Amen?!
Would y’all please join me in praying for baby Jaxson and his sweet parents?
And if you happen to know any NICU mamas in the trenches right now, I encourage you to pray about finding a way to support them on their journey.
Happy NICU Mama Survival Kit-ing! 🙂