The slow cooker and I are BFF!
Especially in the Fall when the holiday busyness is picking up and the Happy Home wants something other than cereal for dinner – again. :-)
I just love this recipe for chili (the ultimate Fall Comfort Food) that I found in a Southern Living magazine a few years ago, and the Happy Hubby loves it, too!
I hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb bacon, uncooked and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 16 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 16 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 15.5 oz can Sloppy Joe mix
- 15 oz can pork and beans, undrained
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- Combine meat mixture, beans, and remaining ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours. Makes about 12 cups.
Delicious Cornbread (this recipe is from my friend, Alison, over at Oosey Daisey!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1 1/2 sticks melted butter
- 2 c. Bisquick
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 heaping T. cornmeal
- Beat eggs.
- Add remaining ingredients in the order listed. (If you don’t have Bisquick, use 2 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. baking powder.)
- Mix well.
- Pour into greased 9×13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
I know this little Fall Menu of Wonder will make your home happy!
Happy Slow Cooker Chili and Cornbread-ing!